It is true that startups need funding. That is why you can learn how to get your product or service investment ready. Learn how to pitch your ideas, and have a chance to participate in startup competitions with prize money. We show you how to put the fun in funding!
UCI Beall Applied Innovation’s Student Startup Fund program provides micro-grants to students engaged in UCI’s entrepreneurial programs, competitions and centers.
Friends and family funding plays an important part in supporting early-stage startup activities such as prototyping, market research and product refinement. For a sizable portion of our students, this funding is virtually inaccessible. Lack of critical funding forces promising innovations to be abandoned and, therefore, denies student innovators opportunities to pursue their entrepreneurial aspirations.
The Student Startup Fund helps bridge this funding gap, allowing students to continue developing their dreams.
Use of Funds
The Student Startup Fund helps cover specific project-related expenses (up to $1,000) to further develop entrepreneurial concepts/startups for students and recent alumni. Additional funds may be available in exceptional cases. Granted funds are intended for immediate or short-term use, and should adhere to the following criteria:
- Prototyping materials
- Project supplies
- Specialized software (less than $1,000)
- Small equipment (note that UCI retains ownership of the equipment after theproject has ended)
- Fees associated with attending project-related conferences or events
- Expenses related to customer discovery
- Expenses related to lab testing
- Living expenses (rent, food, gas, etc.)
- Stipends/payroll expenses
- Equipment greater than $5,000
- Personal technology (laptops, tablets, smart phones, desktop computers, etc.)
EXPENSES NEEDING HIGHER APPROVAL
- Service or consultant agreements (marketing, software development, etc.)
- Legal fees (corporate formation expenses)
- Patent fees
- Costs to host an event (venue, food, etc.)